Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Spotlight on Christy Turlington's Film- No Woman, No Cry

I formally met Christy Turlington-Burns a few weeks ago at a screening of her beautiful and provocative film- No Woman, No Cry. The film really took a serious look at birthing options, outcomes, and the lives of women around the world giving birth, from the Slums of Bangladesh to the foothills of Tanzania, and even here in the United States. Inspired by Christy's own experience the film looks at the harsh reality of what can happen if things "go wrong". Christy is a huge maternal rights advocate and humanitarian. I admire her work, her commitment, and look forward to hosting a screening of No Woman, No Cry in the near future. Congrats to Christy on her directorial debut. To learn more about Christy's work and her film visit her at: Every Mother Counts To take action visit: Mothers Everyday Campaign

Below is a personal statement from Christy Turlington about her must-see documentary.

"Like many women, I was excited to become a mother and enjoyed being pregnant. But just after delivering my first child, I suffered a serious complication. While I had a birth team that worked quickly to manage the situation, I was shocked to learn that more than 500,000 women die each year during childbirth—and that 90 percent of these deaths are preventable. This left me needing to learn more about maternal health.

I have since become the Maternal Health Advocate for the Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere (CARE) and enrolled in the Masters of Public Health program at Columbia University's Mailman School. But I still felt helpless, frustrated by the reports that maternal mortality numbers were not dropping. I was inspired to make a documentary film that would share the stories of women at risk of becoming a mortality statistic. I hope that by bringing people together through the universal experience of birth, we can help create a mainstream maternal health movement that ensures the lives and well-being of mothers worldwide, for generations to come."

And now, the trailer for No Woman, No Cry.

No comments: